Current Treatment Protocol as of March 2012
For anyone interested, here is my current treatment protocol as of March, 2012. I am being treated by a Lyme-Literate Naturopathic Doctor (LLND). She treats Lyme with both pharmaceutical and herbal antibiotics. I opted for a gentler, herbal treatment to start. If necessary, I will do the pharmaceuticals. This is a long post, so bear with me.
I am using a comprehensive approach to overcome this illness:
- Kill off the infection
- Support the body’s detoxification pathways
- Desensitize the body from multiple “allergies” that developed as a result of the infection
- Physical and emotional release of trauma (both at the root of, and a result of chronic pain)
- Byron White formula: A-BAB, 7 drops 2x per day (an herbal antibiotic, specifically for Babesia). Previously on B.W. A-L Formula for three months. Beware: these can cause significant die-off.
- Lauricidin: 7 pellets before bed (generally antimicrobial, esp. antifungal, antiviral) Beware: can cause significant die-off.
- Garlic cloves: insert vaginally overnight for yeast flare. Don’t laugh – this is very effective.
- Fluconazole: for yeast flares
- Cal/Mag Butyrate: 4 capsules with lunch and dinner (helps intestinal repair, reduces food reactions, anti-candida)
- Interfase Plus (contains digestive enzymes and EDTA to break up biofilms) 2 capsules, 2x per day
- Digestive enzymes before meals
- Chlorella with every meal
- Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) daily
- Meriva Curcumin (anti-inflammatory) daily
- 60+ oz filtered water daily
- Coffee enemas weekly. Don’t laugh – this is very effective. You want to use special coffee for this purpose: S.A. Wilson’s. More on this later.
- BioSet treatments (see below)
Vitamins and Minerals:
- Calcium/magnesium/zinc (1000/500/15mg) daily
- Vitamin D: 5,000 units per day
- B Vitamins: Folate, B6, B12 daily
- Bio-identical progesterone cream morning and evening 21 days per month (for PMS caused by low progesterone)
- Natural thyroid: 45mg every AM
- St. John’s wort
- 5mg melatonin
- 200 mg L-theanine (supports Gaba)
- 2 capsules Kavinace (supports Gaba)
- BioSet (Bioenergetic Sensitivity and Enzyme Therapy): It integrates traditional Chinese medicine and acupressure together with contemporary approaches to applied immunology and nutrition. The BioSET System employs three basic treatments: organ-specific detoxification, enzyme therapy, and desensitization. I think of it as Biofeedback via the body’s energetic pathways. Also helps to open the detox pathways and prepare you for antimicrobial treatment. And you can continue to self-treat at home. I no longer suffer from food sensitivities! I will devote an entire page to this remarkable therapy soon.
- Psychotherapy with EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique, aka “Tapping”) and EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming). Excellent work for reprogramming the body after trauma. It is important to remember that trauma can cause chronic pain, but chronic pain can also cause trauma! This is the only psychotherapy that has ever been truly helpful to me. And you can continue to self-treat at home. I will write more on this treatment soon.
Diet: (mostly organic)
- I try to get nine cups of fruits and vegetables per day. Intensive nutrition is key to recovering from chronic illness of any kind. I am starting to juice to accomplish this.
- High quality proteins: grass fed meat, organic poultry, and fish
- Low grains
- Low sugar
- Low alcohol (one of my weaknesses!)
- Minimal dairy – eat goat or sheep cheese when possible
- Avoid processed “dead” food
- Avoid additives and preservatives
- Plenty of good fat: oils, nuts, seeds
- 3g high quality fish oil per day
Pharmaceuticals: (I rely on these less now)
- Tylenol for moderate pain
- Tramodol for intense pain
- Sumatriptan for severe headaches
- Ambien for insomnia (if natural supplements fail)
- Fluconazole for yeast flare-ups
- Xanax for anxiety/panic
Previous medicines/therapies: Alternative
- Removal of amalgam fillings in 2010. Replaced with composite or hypo-allergenic gold
- Intravenous chelation for heavy metals from 2010 to 2011 (could not feel the benefit, but was necessary in my opinion)
- 6 months of intense anti-fungal therapy in 2011 with fluconazole, Amphotericin-B, and Nystatin (helpful)
- Anti-fungal treatment with oral Nystatin 2008 – 2010 (helpful)
- Acupuncture (temporary pain relief only)
- Chiropractic (not helpful)
Previous medicines/therapies: Conventional
Before this, I tried numerous medications and treatments to prevent the pain. None of them worked. Here are the ones I remember:
- At least five different antidepressants
- Anti seizure (Topamax)
- At least two different anti-hypertensives (propranolol, etc…)
- Nerve pain meds (Neurontin, Lyrica)
- Anti-anxiety meds (Xanax)
- Physical therapy (not helpful)
- Psychotherapy (not helpful for pain, somewhat helpful for emotional problems)
- Arteminisin (per Dietrich Klinghardt protocol)
- Switch to other BW formulas to kill off co-infections
I am very pleased with my course of treatment in the last six months. My pain level is significantly lower! I also believe that the BioSet was a turning point for me. These treatments rid me of food sensitivities and vulvodynia pain. I will continue them as long as I can afford them. I hope viewers find this information useful.